Welcome to the New ShapeShift
Thank you for trying ShapeShift! We look forward to sharing our vision with you. To get started, please pick up your KeepKey and follow this guide. If you run into any issues, you can contact our Support Team at any time.
Note: Please keep in mind that our platform is also compatible with Trezor and Nano Ledger. If you are using a Trezor wallet, your experience will vary. Click here for Trezor setup help. If you are using a Nano Ledger wallet, click here for the setup instructions.
What You'll Need
- A KeepKey. Buy one here!
- A ShapeShift account (recommended). Sign up now for free if you haven't already done so.
Using a Chrome browser, log in with your ShapeShift account. If you plan to use ShapeShift without an account, just remember that you won't be able to trade.
Connect Your Wallet
1. Select "Connect A Wallet".
2. Select "KeepKey".
Pairing Your Device
3. After selecting "KeepKey", this screen will come up and you will select "Pair KeepKey".
4. Highlight the KeepKey you would like to pair and then click "Connect".
Updates (if needed)
5. Next, you will be prompted for any updates. Click on "Download Updater App". You can also access the Updater App here.
6. In this example, we will be using Mac OS X, so we will click "Get the App". If you are using Windows and this same screen pops up, you will click the "Click here" link beside "Not using Mac OS X?" instead. This will prompt a download.
7. Now that you have downloaded the .dmg or .exe file, let's open it up. The icon should look like this.
8. Next, let's perform the updates it requests. Click "Update Now" if it prompts you.
9. After clicking "Update Now", it will ask if this is a new KeepKey or if we've set it up before. This is a new KeepKey, so that is what we will select. If you've used your KeepKey before, select "I've Set Up This KeepKey Before" instead.
10. will now be prompted to disconnect and reconnect your KeepKey while holding the button. Follow the animated on-screen directions if you aren't sure how to do that.
11. Next, we need to confirm the device. Press and hold the button as prompted. You will see the arrow on the screen black out once it's time to release.
12. You will be given on-screen directions to disconnect and reconnect your device. Then, you will be given directions to disconnect and reconnect while holding the button. Perform both of these steps.
13. Next, you may need to do another update. Click "Update Now".
14. Hold and release just like you did before. Like so:
15. This is the screen that you will see:
16. Finally, you will unplug the KeepKey and plug it back in.
17. Now, you're done with the Updater! Click "Head over to ShapeShift!"
Connect Your Wallet (Take Two!)
1.1. You will now repeat your very first steps. Click "Connect a Wallet" and select "KeepKey".
Pairing Your Device (Again!)
1.2. After selecting "KeepKey", this screen will come up and you will select "Pair KeepKey". After that, you will highlight the KeepKey you would like to pair and then click "Connect". This should all ring a bell as you've done it before. Don't worry. You only are doing this twice since this is a new device.
Initialize Your KeepKey
1.3. Now, it's time to initialize your KeepKey. You will notice below "Initialize" that you can also recover your account with a 12-word recovery phrase, but you will not have that if you're using it for the first time. If this isn't your first time using KeepKey and you would like to recover an existing wallet, please select that option instead and follow the onscreen directions.
1.4. Once you've initialized your KeepKey, you can name add a Label to your device. This is essentially your KeepKey's name in the ShapeShift interface. Once you choose a name, click "Set Label".
1.5 Next, it is time to choose your PIN using the cipher on your KeepKey. Let's look at the cipher. This will change every time you use your KeepKey. Your PIN is limited to nine digits. If you are trying to use a PIN longer than nine digits, please note that the device only recognizes the first nine entries.
Note that the new security update will include two identical number boxes displayed on your KeepKey's screen (example below)
1.6. Your screen will look like this.
1.7 But to follow the cipher on the KeepKey, each of those buttons will actually be representative of what is shown on the KeepKey's screen. In our example, it would look like this.
1.8. After you choose and confirm your PIN (remember: the cipher will change before the confirmation screen, so make sure you take a look at your KeepKey screen), you'll be given your new recovery sentence. This 12-word sentence is pertinent to keep safe. Write it down on a hard copy and lock it somewhere safe. Do not keep a digital copy of this sentence. If you wish to restore another recovery sentence, you can find more information here.
Your 12 word recovery sentence will only be displayed ONCE. Failure to write these words down and store them in a safe place can result in your funds being permanently lost. Do not proceed past this step until the words are written down (in order) first.
1.9. Once you have written down your 12-word sentence, confirm on your KeepKey by holding the button on your device. After this, your addresses will sync and you will be brought to your dashboard.
Your dashboard will look like the following if you do not have digital assets on the paired device.
Once you add digital assets, your dashboard will reflect your balances. If you have added a label to your KeepKey, your balances will reflect even after you disconnect your device.
Sending and Receiving
To view the digital assets that we offer, simply click the "Assets" tab in the left column. You will be brought to this screen, where you can scroll through all of the digital assets that are available on the ShapeShift platform. You will find the price, how much your portfolio value has changed, and your balance here. Since there are is not a balance in this wallet, you will see a balance of 0 and no Day Change.
Now let's add some digital assets to your ShapeShift portfolio! First, we'll select "BUY CRYPTO" at the top of the Dashboard. You can purchase crypto using our Banxa integration.
If you already have a balance in another wallet that you would like to send to your KeepKey, simply send it to yourself.
Once you have digital assets (sent from another wallet, or bought using Banxa), you can trade one crypto for another. Go back to "Trade", which you can find on the left panel.
If you are happy with the trade details displayed, press "TRADE". Once finalized, you should see your balance reflect the correct amount.
The "Settings" page will reflect the various settings regarding your account. Here, you can change your default currencies, view details, and manage your Paired wallets.
If you still need assistance using our platform, you can access our Help Center by clicking the "Support" button in the lefthand column.
If you cannot find what you are looking for in our Help Center, please Submit a Request.